The top reasons consumers cite for becoming fans of a brand on Facebook:
- To support a brand I like
- To receive regular updates from brands I like
- To share my personal good experiences
- To share my interests/lifestyle with others
- To participate in contests
I find it interesting that contests/sweepstakes barely made it into the top 5 of this study where this reasoning is typically the top response in other studies. I think the way this study was conducted from the brand level, putting each of these questions in context of a specific brand that the consumer has liked on Facebook, speaks to the importance of brand affinity in social. It tells me that for brands that consumers identify with and have a high affinity for, they are less likely to need freebies and gimmicks as incentive to follow the brand in a social channel.
Read the full study from Syncapse here.